Graduating from beauty school and embarking on a career in the beauty industry is an exciting and thrilling accomplishment! But, sometimes it can be a little daunting to leave the comfort of school and venture out on your own.
Whether you’re prepping for your upcoming graduation from the Aveda Institute Columbus or you’re a seasoned alumni looking for new opportunities, we’ve put together a few pointers for building your career as a stylist and putting yourself on the fast track to success.
1. Go to every educational event you can: Continue advanced education throughout your career; it’s the key to your success.
2. Practice what you learn, and share it with others: Have you ever heard that the best way to learn something is to teach it? Sharing makes you better because it makes you reinforce information and thereby increases retention.
3. Find employment at a great salon that is truly interested in your success: When salon-shopping, sit in the waiting room to get a feel for the environment and level of professionalism. Tune-in on how they’re answering phones, greeting guests and interacting with one another. Inquire about advanced education and learning opportunities. Picture yourself in this environment, and make sure it’s the right fit for you.
4. Ask about the salon’s associate or assistant program: Request a copy in writing to be certain they have one. You might have to assist for a while and be willing to bend over backward to become part of the team. This is your chance to prove you have what it takes to be a positive member of their team.
5. Find the right fit and stay in that salon: Do not move around; if you move too much, people won’t take you seriously. Also, your clients don’t want to have to constantly follow you from one salon to the next.