While pulling off a red lip feels a little intimidating, you don’t have to hire a makeup artist to the stars to achieve the perfect red lip. With a few products, and the right technique, mastering the romantic red lip can be done within the comfy confines of your own home:
1) The key to achieving any bold lip is to make sure your lips are hydrated and smooth. Cracked or peeling lips will make your lip color bleed and appear uneven. We recommend using a homemade exfoliating scrub like this once a week:
Homemade All-Natural Lip Scrub Recipe
1 tsp honey
1 tsp olive oil
1tsp brown sugar
2-3 drops of essential oil (Aveda peppermint oil or your favorite Aveda scent)
Heat honey in the microwave for 5 seconds. Mix in the oil, sugar and essential oil. With clean hands, gently massage onto lips and then rinse with warm water. Follow with Aveda lip saver.
2) To achieve a long lasting red lip, you’ll want to apply lip liner all over your lips. We love our Aveda nourish-mint lip liner in fire maple. It’s the perfect shade to complement a cool and vibrant red lipstick.
3) Apply your lipstick evenly and generously. For extra control, use a lip brush, or put the color just in the center of your lips and blend out using your pinky. Our favorite shade is Aveda nourish-mint smoothing lip color in gogi berry.
4) If you prefer a matte finish, you can skip to step 5. If you prefer a glossy look, apply Aveda nourish-mint rehydrating lip glaze right over top of your lipstick. We love a clear or dark pink lip gloss with a red lip. Try Aveda nourish-mint rehydrating lip glaze in cherry blossom.
5) Lastly, dab a bit of concealer around your lips. This will keep the color from smearing and make the red lip pop against your skin!